Benefits of Kalmegh
Many Kalmegh/Chuan xin lien leaf contains compounds andrographolide, which is a bicyclic diterpenoid lactone compound. Kalmegh/Chuan xin lien chemical compound was first isolated in 1911 by Gorter.
Andrographolide has liver protecting properties (hepatoprotective), and proven to protect the liver from negative effects galaktosamin and paracetamol. These properties are closely related to the activity of certain metabolic enzymes.
Has long been known to have a Kalmegh/Chuan xin lien medical efficacy. Ayurveda is one of the ancient Indian system of medicine. Which includes Kalmegh/Chuan xin lien as a medical herb. Which is called by the name of bitter Kalmegh on Ayurveda.
In addition to protecting the heart nutritious , Kalmegh/Chuan xin lien can also suppress the growth of cancer cells. This is due to the active compound, namely andrographolide, decreased the expression of the enzyme CDK4 (cyclin dependent kinase 4).
Andrographolide also have immune-boosting properties, by increasing division of lymphocytes and interleukin – 2 production. Enhanced the efficacy of cytotoxic lymphocytes by andrographolide , which makes it have no direct efficacy on the inhibition of cancer cells.
From the above it can be concluded that in the Kalmegh/Chuan xin lien leaf andrographolide are chemical compounds that can protect the heart, fight cancer and boost immunity. Seems that andrographolide great potential to be developed as a drug.
The primary medicinal component of Andrographis is andrographolide. Kalmegh has a very bitter taste, colorless crystalline in appearance, and called a “diterpene lactone”. The other medicinal chemicals are also bitter principles: diterpenoids viz. deoxyandrographolide, -19ß-D-glucoside, and neo-andrographolide, all of which have been isolated from the leaves.
Related article :
- This Fruit Can Prevent Skin Cancer To Osteoporosis, Very Amazing
- Boost Your Sex Life With Goji Berries – Friends With Benefits
Besides the related bitters mentioned. Other active components include 14-deoxy-11,12- didehydroandrographolide (andrographlide D), homoandrographolide, andrographan, andrographon, andrographosterin, and stigmasterol – the last of which was isolated from an Astrographis preparation. The leaves contain the highest amount of andrographolide (2.39%), the most medicinally active phytochemical in the plant, while the seeds contain the lowest.
Benefits and Function Andrographis paniculata
- Analgesic: pain killer.
- Anti-hyperglycaemic: has a blood glucose lowering effect.
- Anti-inflammatory: reduces swelling and cuts down exudation from capillaries, anti-inflammatory action probably mediated, in part, by adrenal function.
- Antibacterial: fights bacterial activity, although Sambiloto appears to have weak direct antibacterial action, it has remarkably beneficial effect in reducing diarrhea and symptoms arising from bacterial infections.
- Antimalarial: prophylactic properties prevent infection and parasite multiplication in the blood stream.
- Antihepatotoxic: eliminates liver toxins, such as products of alcohol consumption.
Antipyretic: fever reducer – both in humans and animals, caused by multiple infections or by toxins.
- Antithrombotic: blood clot preventative. This is where the prevention of heart attack comes in.
- Antiviral: inhibits viral activity. Inhibits HIV replication.
- Antioxidant: operates against free radicals.
- Cancerolytic: fights, even kills, cancer cells.
- Cardioprotective: protects heart muscles.
- Choleretic: alters the properties and increases the flow of bile.
- Depurative: cleans and purifies the system, particularly the blood.
- Expectorant: promotes clearance of mucus from the respiratory system.
- Hepatoprotective: protects the liver and gall bladder.
- Hypoglycemic: blood sugar reducer, protective against diabetes.
- Immune Enhancer: increases white cell phagocytosis, inhibits HIV-1 replication, and improves CD4+ and T lymphocyte counts.
- Thrombolytic: blood clot eliminator.
- Vermicidal: kills intestinal worms.
Other benefits include:
- Anti-Hypertensive (High Blood Pressure)
- Liver & Gallbladder Protection
- Immunological Benefits: Cancer
- Effect on Lyme disease
- Anti-Oxidant and Antihyperglycaemic (Blood Sugar) Benefits
- Anti HIV